Monday, September 20, 2010

STYLE: 1970s Terrarium

Yes, this is the corner of my living room. Yes, that is the arm of one of my fabulous Breuer chairs in the corner. And, yes, I know how lucky I am. I inherited this vintage 1970s white plastic terrarium from my in-laws. The tulip base and the dome are in near perfect condition and this thing has been in their southeast Idaho barn since the late 80s, I'd guess.

A terrarium is basically a miniature landscape with tiny plants and often small animals, like lizards. I opted to plant a desert garden minus the creatures. The little drift wood, plastic deer and rock painted with yellow flowers were in the terrarium when I got it, leftover from my husband's childhood. He has such fond memories of peeking into this miniscule world (much like this girl) and really wanted to share that fun with our girls.

There are lots of fantastic websites devoted to building your own terrarium out of whiskey bottles and other recycled objects. I have to admit, it was fun to landscape on such a miniature scale and I love bringing the outside world inside with something a bit more unusual than potted plants (which we already have plenty of). Plus, again, doesn't it compliment my chairs so well?

17 comments:

  1. OMG!!! AS SOON AS I HAVE THE TIME OR THE SPACE, I'M DOIN THIS!! James had an amazing one that got left behind at the old shop...=(

    You inspire me!! xoxox KISSY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      PC...

      Delete
  2. Wow! Michael and I inherited a glass terrarium coffee table several years ago, but we parted ways with it somewhere along the way. Yours is way cooler though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a lot of small terrariums on Etsy lately and have been thinking about doing one for our house - I love your vintage terrarium though. And, yes, it does look fab with your chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I am a working on an article about terrariums now, and I am desperately in need of a photo of a Tiara Casa terrarium—might I use yours, w attribution, of course? Please let me know at kgroetzinger@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one in the 70's and when we moved to our new house, it was broken and at the time I could not replace it. I've been looking for another one ever since. I just got lucky and ran across this site. Can anyone tell me where I can buy another one. I would really love to have it again. I had succulents in mine and everyone who saw it loved it. Thanks. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    UI .

    ReplyDelete