Sunday, August 9, 2015

BOOK REPORT: Three for International Book Lovers Day

Apparently today (August 9th) is International Book Lovers Day, something I learned about from Reese Witherspoon's Instagram account this morning. I had already planned to write up a little just-off-my-nightstand-book-report on the blog today anyhow, so it was fortuitous.

I've been devouring stories this summer, which is part of the reason I haven't been writing very many of my own here. Let me tell you about three that just made their way back to the library shelves.

 
The best thing I've read this summer, hands-down. Fat feminist fiction might just be three of my favorite words strung together in one description. This is Sarai Walker's very first novel and it's so fun and surprising and a fast read. Subversive stories about female characters that are not centered around men is so hard to find and so satisfying. Plus, Dietland is not what you think it may be. I cannot recommend this book enough, ladies.
 

 
This read was part of my way of extending the end of an era a little longer. For those of you who've been living under a rock, the best television series of all time, Mad Men, ended in May. I've read so many books about the show and life in the mid-century, but just finished this one loaned to me by a dear friend. Author Natasha Vargas-Cooper started with a blog called Footnotes of Mad Men which she later published into this book. There are many chapters/essays on real life of the 60s, in particular, stories of actual advertising Mad Men in New York which many of the fictional characters were modeled after. If you were/are a fan of the show, Mad Men Unbuttoned is an easy informative read.  
 

 
Written in 2012, Lucy and I co-read this book this summer for our Mother/Daughter Bookclub. It's a young adult novel about an 11-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who cannot walk or talk but has a photographic memory. With the help of a few stellar adults in her life, she makes major headway in her education and communication in her late elementary school years, but the story is not without gut-wrenching heartache and the last few chapters will leave you devastatingly in tears. Beautiful and sad and celebratory, Out of My Mind is totally worth it.
 
My nightstand is already littered with new reads, including the short stories of John Cheever and Hold Still, photographer Sally Mann's memoir. With that, I'm off to bed to enjoy them. I hope your summer has been full of beach reads and sweet stories to curl up on the hammock with. 

19 comments:

  1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    VX .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful blog that I want to read it twice! Thanks ! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve written information I can finally agree on. Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Type of fantastic informative web site, Awesomeness! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone loves it Great website, continue the good work! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job for publishing such a nice article. Its useful for us. Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing superb informations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog, thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that you're always doing an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to to thank you for this great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the good information you share with us.

    ReplyDelete

  12. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful info with us.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really happy to determine this kind of wonderful info becoming discussed readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is certainly a great deal to learn about this topic. I love all the points you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing with us. Such amazing information.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Hi, happy that i saw on this in google. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete